In this post, I would like to share with you how to identify the important points about the article, so that you can write a good review article without any effort.
Writing an article review is a great way to enhance your writing skills and advance your career as a writer. You can accomplish that with a few simple rules. After all, it’s the basics that can get you started.
If you have no idea how to write a paper outline, don’t worry, we can help you with this task. We explain what an article review is and how to write one, and you will find a useful example of an article review. This guide will help you write an article review faster.
What is an article overview?
Knowing the definition of an article review is essential for anyone who wants to write one. Reading the article is a prerequisite for an adequate perception of the text with a view to a later use of the provisions formulated therein. Today, a large number of printed and electronic scientific articles are published. In the uncontrollable amount of information, one must learn to select and analyze the studies that have real scientific value and relevance.
Why do you need an overview of item
The purpose of the analytical evaluation of an article written by another author is to determine the applicability of the assumptions, theories, and calculations presented therein to the reviewer’s own developments. All science is a process of seeking and applying relevant information to create new knowledge. Journals are therefore an indispensable source of information for scientists to communicate the results of their own research.
Writing a review means analyzing. Analysis is a way of examining the structural elements of a phenomenon, process or object. A scientific publication should be structured in a logical way. In this respect, it is suitable for analytical analysis and evaluation.
The methodology for the analysis of scientific articles may differ according to the thematic focus. For example, a study published in a physics and mathematics journal will be treated differently than a study published in a humanities journal. However, there are some general principles that must be followed.
How to write a review of an article
The outline of the article summary was made with the following main elements in mind:
- Formal Publication Characteristics. In the scientific community, the authority of a particular journal plays a special role. It is determined by several factors: traditional popularity (there are names with unquestionable authority), strong citations indicating that the publication publishes relevant research, rigorous review (ensures selection of quality articles) and thematic focus (the narrower the focus, the more likely there is content with real value to the reader).
- Author. A scientist who is well known in his field generates more credibility and interest. You should also pay attention to the academic institution or university that the author represents. If the article is written in the context of a scholarship, this gives it added value because the topic presented by the author was chosen in a reasoned and competitive manner.
- Annotation. The main thesis and hypothesis must be stated before the main subject. The summary helps the reader determine in advance whether the text will be useful and interesting.
- Relevance of the topic and novelty. Most scientific journals ask authors to highlight these points separately in the text of the article. It is important that the reader of the article first understands what problems it solves. Moreover, the value lies in the fact that these solutions present a scientific novelty of the topic, an innovative approach and a unique perspective on the problem sought.
- Stylistic correspondence. From the very first lines, the reader should be convinced that the author is a serious expert in his field. Strict criteria on style, terminological clarity and textual integrity have to be respected. Only someone with the right skills can write a quality research paper.
- Consistency of Presentation. A scientific text necessarily has a clear structure and a logical presentation. The hypothesis formulated at the beginning should be exhaustively tested using strictly defined methods and sources. This allows valid conclusions to be drawn.
- Quality of literature used. Please open the bibliography before reading the article. The texts should be authoritative and thematically relevant. Moreover, one of the first points of the article itself is a detailed analysis of previous research on which the author relies.
- Detailed methodology. Without this point, the material presented loses its strength and value. Only a strictly defined method allows a scientist to formulate a theory and draw conclusions.
- Experimental component. Data from experiments, sociological surveys and scientometric studies are presented correctly and in a recognized terminology. They must be easily understood by a specialist in the field concerned. The reviewer should assess how the researcher recorded the events, whether he or she examined the interaction with other phenomena, and how he or she assessed the dynamics. Which approach was adopted – subjective, creative or dogmatic?
- Critical Analysis. The methodology considers the value of work in two main aspects. Theoretically: What new perspectives does this publication offer? Who needs this theory? Practice: Has it been tested? How and where can the results be used? What do they change? How impartial is the author? Are his conclusions accurate and consistent with the facts and research presented in the article?
- The value and validity of the results. The last part of the text is presented in the light of the research conducted. The results correspond to the notions of novelty, relevance and purpose described above.
The analysis should also take into account the specific type of material. For example, an analytical review article on philosophy will be very different from a review article on applied technology.
Tips for Checking an Article
Experienced scientists develop their own method of reviewing articles. For inexperienced researchers, the following tips are helpful:
- Read carefully the requirements for formatting an article in the textbooks on the subject you are interested in (they usually highlight all the key elements needed for good writing).
- Read new issues of respected publications in your field regularly (even if the topics of the articles are not directly related to your research, you will improve your style and learn to present all relevant elements clearly).
- When you study someone else’s text, do not accept it as the final truth, even if it was written by the authoritative one (develop contradiction and critical thinking).
- The analysis is greatly simplified if the researcher follows the logic and structure of the elements. If the text jumps from topic to topic and there is no step-by-step presentation, this is a clear violation, especially by novice researchers. The guarantee for a good grade is a logically structured overview of the article.
How to write a diary report: Evaluation criteria
When selecting and analyzing a research article to write a review, the following should be considered:
- Scientific presentation style
- Scientific responsibility of the author of the article
- Key messages, information and content
- Theoretical significance of the proposed methods
- Practical relevance
- Amount of text
- Use of analysis equipment
Only the experience of analyzing many scientific texts helps the aspiring scientist develop his or her own style and learn how to express his or her thoughts in the context of reviewing an article.
What topics do you choose for article summaries?
If you are looking for article topics to analyze, you have made a list of the most interesting topics.
- The earth has a hidden layer, and no one knows exactly what it is.
- Abortion is now legal in Argentina, but opponents make it difficult to obtain.
- A.I. Here, there, everywhere.
- Do liberals care if books disappear?
- China censors the internet. So why isn’t Russia doing it?
- How climate change can affect your health.
- Criminal law is a matter for the state.
- About the Nazis, the crimes and the punishments.
- Too much choice is bad for America.
- Americans with disabilities are losing their lifeline.
Formats: Review of MLA and ABS articles
Citation styles like MLA and APA can be a real headache when writing an article review. You need to express your thoughts correctly, analyze them and put them into a coherent form. You also need to make sure that the citation is done correctly. At first glance, this may seem like an unimportant detail, but improper formatting can earn you a poor grade for your article’s outline.
The good news is that there are only very subtle differences between the MLA and ABS article revisions. This means you don’t have to learn a whole new way to mark up sources. Understanding these minor differences will make it much easier for you to write article reviews. However, these similar traits can get you in trouble because they confuse people.
For MLA and APA style article reports, the same information should be provided in the formatting: Name of author, title of source, publisher and year of publication. However, the order in which this information is organized is somewhat different.
If you use the APA format for citations, you should pay more attention to punctuation, as it differs from the MLA format. The place of publication must also be indicated. Citations in APA format should be presented as follows: Author’s last name, initials. (Year of publication). The name of the source is in italics. (Edition number). Place of publication: Publisher.
Example: Blunt, B. (2021). The best articles in the world. (2nd ed.). Italy : Pizza Publications.
If you are using the MLA format, your citation should be written as follows: The author’s name, his name. The name of the source is in italics. Publication number, publisher, year of publication.
Example: Blunt, Bill. The best articles in the world. 2. Issue, Pizza Publications, 2021.
Practical guidelines for writing article reviews
Academic journals now attract the attention of the academic community because they represent a synthesis of knowledge that guides and informs researchers in the field. Many peer-reviewed journals have begun to incorporate this type of publication into their editorial policies and are actively working with authors.
In terms of format, most journals follow the IMRAD structure (Introduction, Methods, Results and Discussion) to some extent. The introduction describes the relevance of the study and justifies the need to write a review. If reviews have already been published on a similar topic, the author analyzes them and builds arguments for conducting a new review. The introduction concludes with the research questions.
The Methods section describes the methodology in detail, including search procedures, source selection, relevance checks, and methods for literature reviews. Where more sophisticated statistical, quantitative and qualitative methods are used, either a reference to the appropriate methodology is given if it is widely used and known, or the entire process is described in detail so that any researcher can replicate the study.
The results section, which may be combined with the discussion of results, analyzes the groups of articles identified in the content analysis, makes generalizations, and summarizes information on trends, gaps, objectivity, and other findings.
Magazine titles usually consist of two parts. The first part reveals the subject of the study. The second part (after a colon) indicates the nature of the verification. This title allows the reader to immediately identify the type of publication when searching.
The number of sources in the synthesis depends on how much you cover the topic. In general, domain discussions include hundreds of titles. Since not all sources are cited or included in the description of the results, a complete list of all selected articles is often included in an appendix.
Item Rating Template
If you have never written this type of academic paper before, it is recommended that you familiarize yourself with sample journals. They will help you understand how to write your own review. Here is an example of an article summary that will be very helpful.
Marketing is about manipulating customers into buying something they don’t need.
Marketing is one of the most important elements of any business. Handling articles in marketing: How it’s used, and how to use it ethically by Scott Oldford explores the prevalence of manipulation in modern marketing strategies and how companies can use it ethically. People can be manipulated by modern marketing into believing things they hadn’t thought of, with values that can be interpreted by anyone, including business owners, marketers, government and the media. A better understanding of manipulation in marketing will help you understand what is right, what should not be done and how things should be done during marketing.
The article begins with a discussion of the various marketing methods, including social media marketing, that are currently dominant. The prevalence of this type of marketing leads unsuspecting or uninformed users to unconsciously absorb information from various sources, such as billboards, newspapers, magazines, television advertisements and social media such as YouTube and Facebook, without understanding the content. The article describes the manipulations used by giant companies like Coca-Cola that have dominated the market for years (Oldford). Coca-Cola manipulates its consumers by being present almost everywhere, including newspaper ads, television ads, and billboards, allowing it to connect with its users. While many companies fail to see the value of this form of marketing, it is a thorough and proven method of persuasion.
Institutions and businesses continue to target specific groups because they understand that people have certain interests, political beliefs, and hobbies. With the current availability of algorithms on various platforms like Facebook and Google, companies and individuals can target, retarget and manipulate their audience. This is how the media can get people to believe in new campaigns and programs. Therefore, companies need to understand how to control their audience on a daily basis. Moreover, marketers must understand that they must incorporate manipulation into their marketing because it is the only method to create enthusiastic fans who buy goods and services without compromising the credibility of the company.
Manipulation is part of modern marketing, so companies need to understand how to get it right. When marketing tactics are executed properly, they have a positive effect on the company and the target audience. The article points out that this manipulation is desirable if the product is genuine and has an actual discernible effect on the user. In order to manipulate through marketing, companies must fully understand their target audiences so that they do not take actions that may harm their relationships (Sinha, et al. 38). Helping clients means manipulating them to find solutions to their needs (Busuttil 32). However, when dealing with them, you should emphasize relevance to ensure that the company offers significant value by giving consumers what they need. Companies also need to stay close by constantly adding value, staying real and building trust. They also need to be omnipresent to always be there for their customers.
In conclusion, this article is the best version of marketing manipulation. It offers both consumers and businesses its benefits and represents a symbiotic relationship. Understanding how to do this remains the most important test any business or individual must pass.
Busuttil, Lori R. Toward a practical theology of marketing: The five P’s approach to persuasion. Journal of Biblical Integration in Business 20.2 (2017).
Oldford, Scott. Manipulation in marketing: How to use it and how to use it ethically. Entrepreneur, 2018, https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/321611.
Sinha, Mumita, Jennifer Healy, Faran Ahmad, Varun Gupta and Neeloy Ganguly. Persuasion: What Jane Austen would have written. A workshop on artificial intelligence in affective computing. PMR, 2020.
As a genre of scholarly communication, journals provide a universal mechanism for disseminating and clarifying knowledge about the problem at hand, not only delineating the boundaries of a particular problem area and identifying important trends in its study, but also identifying gaps in existing knowledge within the field.
The use of surveys provides the most objective picture of the level of commitment to the issues analyzed at the international level. This reduces gaps in science communication. Writing a review requires authors to adopt a rigorous approach to a specific methodology based on attention to detail, a thorough knowledge of language as a tool for international scientific communication, and an understanding of the impact that a high-quality review can have on the international scientific community. Therefore, the objectivity of the author, the thoroughness of the research and the scientific logic of the presentation are the criteria that largely determine its scientific value.
If you don’t know how to write this type of paper, you can order an article summary template from the site. Of course, this example will be well-structured and unique, and the sources will be properly cited. But most importantly, once you get an article report from us, you will know how to write it yourself without any problems.
StockSnap photo from Pixabay
Frequently Asked Questions
How many pages should an article review be?
The length of an article review depends on the length of the article.
How do you structure a review article?
A review article is a type of academic paper that presents an overview of a topic. It typically includes an introduction, discussion, and conclusion.
How do you start an article review?
The first step in writing an article review is to read the article. This will help you understand the topic and what the author is trying to say. Next, you should take notes on what you think about the article and how it was written. You should also make a list of questions that you would like answered by reading further into the text or by talking with someone who has read it.
example of article review assignment pdfarticle review examplearticle review templatearticle review example apabest article review pdfjournal article review assignment,People also search for,Feedback,Privacy settings,How Search works,See more,example of article review assignment pdf,article review example,article review example apa,best article review pdf,journal article review assignment,scientific article review example,marketing article review sample pdf